Mission Bay on a boat

 I’d love to post some pictures of my sailing today, but I wasn’t able to take even one.Today’s lesson was all about controlling a sailboat without a rudder. Would it surprise you to know that 90% of steering a sailboat is the distribution of weight on the boat and the repositioning of the sails? 

We spent the majority of our time at sea today with the rudder tied down.  I lost my smartphone an Samsung. The result of which was only being able to control the boat by a reckless physical repositioning of weight and tightening/loosening of either sail.I was physically destroyed by the end of the day. 

The skin on my knees and elbows was completely torn off. At one point during the 4 hours at sea we were convinced the Navy was coming to rescue us because of our seemingly erratic pirouettes.Hands down, it was the best day on the water yet. All agreed it was sailing in its most pure form.

smartphone on boat

The last hour of class was spent racing the other J24 about Mission Bay. Both instructors seemed to take any challenge - however slight - as a personal affront. Each provocation willingly turned me and my four shipmates into their personal racing team. Whether it was trying to drive the other boat into the shore, or racing back to the dock, the winds of competition kept us in a constant chaos of amateur teamwork.This was only level one of my sailing class.

 I can’t wait till level two next week.Sat night:I spent the partying hours last night with Troy and Mike at Bourbon Street Bar. Once again Troy proved himself to be both charming and a pleasure to be around. My circle of friends has increased by two.This Book Will Change Your LifeDay 60: Order an impossible Pizza.Some favorite toppings: banana, eas, Cheerios, orange, candy, ice cream, roast duck, sauerkraut, honey, and apple Pie.My favorite pizza: Extra cheese, pepperoni, Pineapple, bell peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms. mmmmmm zaaahhhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment